SAARC Youth Icon Award 2017 will be giving for Excellence in Development Work. These awards recognize inspiring young people whose development work has had a significant impact on people and communities in their country or region.
We are looking for young people aged 15 to 29 years, whose development work demonstrates the World Program for Actions of Youth (WPAY) of the United Nations, to:
- Promote youth participation in decision making
- Promote economic empowerment of young people
- Take action for equality between young women and young men
- Promote peaceful and democratic environment in which human rights flourish
- Provide quality education for all
- Improve access to information and communication technology
- Promote health, development and values through sport and culture
- Engage young people to protect the environment.
Criteria for nomination
Individuals are able to nominate themselves or can be nominated by someone who is able to vouch for the legitimacy of the nominee’s development work. The nominee must meet the following criteria:
– The nominee must have been engaged in their development work for more than 12 months either in a professional or voluntary capacity.
– The nominee must be from United Nations Member country only.
– The development work must be ongoing and in a member country.
– The nominee should not be older than 29 years of age.
– Nominees should give permission for their names to be put forward (if nominated by someone else).
– Award winners and finalists must agree to take part in publicity and activities generated by the IYC.
– The development work can be within any number of areas, including agriculture, skills training, arts and culture, environment protection, education, health and well-being, human rights, information and communications technology, journalism and many more areas including sport, science and sustainability.
Applications open generally open by December every year and close 30 June next year. Complete the online nomination form to submit a nomination or contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
You will be required to provide:
Awards will be decided on the basis of:
The finalists will receive a will be invited to receive their awards at the official closing ceremony of South Asian Youth Summit 2017.